Saturday, May 5, 2012

What I've Been Watching Lately....The Annual TV Rundown

Twice or so yearly, I document my current stable of consistently watched television shows.
Here you go.....

Game Of Thrones: Epic, very adult take on the fantasy element. It's like somebody took Lord Of The Rings and added more Old Testament grit to it, unreliable protagonists , incest, decapitations and...well...dragons. I finished the first season in about three days. It's worth the time spent online matching characters with their names. Watch it expecting to be shocked....and impressed.

Madmen: I never tire of Don Drapers slow, agonizing descent into misery. This show is so consistent, so well written and acted, it sort of becomes an extension of your life...except everyone on the show has less shame than the people in your own life whom you thought shameless. If The Sopranos is the best show in television history, Madmen just may be the smartest.

True Blood: It's trashy, surface level emotive...and me and my wife have been addicted from episode one. It's mindless entertainment written very well by the great Alan Ball (Six Feet Under, American Beauty). There's blood, pretty people and....more blood. Leave your brain at the door.

The Big Bang Theory: My wife recently convinced me to start watching this. I begrudgingly sat down, awaiting the onset of yawns  and eye rolls to come. Instead, I found myself laughing like hell. It's genuinely one of the funniest sitcom's since Seinfeld. It's glorious. Sheldon is probably the second or third greatest cable television character ever dreamed up.

Swamp People: There's something about ass backwards Cajun people shooting alligators and speaking mumbo jumbo for an hour that keeps me glued to the screen. I don't have a reason why. I just wind up watching the entire episode, wondering quietly if the alligators are ever going to win.

Mob Wives: I generally hate reality shows. Reality shows about women are even worse. Nothing annoys me worse than a room full of obnoxious, self obsessed chicks. This little hellion, though, is a different entity altogether. These girls are connected...by blood, by marriage to the mafia. Needless to say, my years as a fan of gangster movies and extensive useless research into the history of the mob persuaded me to check it out. It's vile, its ugly, its ruthless...and its awesome. There's no scripted drama here. These chicks are hot bloodied tigers, full of vitriole and angst. They scratch, claw and cuss their way into your home. The best part is the fact that I loathe all of them. I can watch the show laughing at their stupidity and their botched plastic surgery  because, truth be told.....they're horrible human beings.

Deep Space Nine: I like Star Trek. I had never seen Deep Space Nine. So far, so good.

Batman: The Animated Series: Bought the box set, took me back to being eight years old on Tuesday nights. The animation, dark storylines and epic soundtrack made this, in  my book, the best animated series of all time.

Charlie Rose: Great interviews.

Bill Dance's Fishing Show: It has a strange likability. Plus, he's such a jackass.

The Daily Show: They don't think Obama's doing so hot....neither do I. It works.

Diners, Drive Ins And Dives: Guy's pretty rad. It sucks to watch him eat all that good food when all you have at the house is Colby Cheeze Its.

Time Lifes Disco Classics Infomercial: Every night, I can pass out to this without fear of needing to watch it.




No comments: