Friday, July 13, 2012

What I'm Listening To, Reading And Watching

This is my occasional blog where I list what I've been listening to, watching and reading lately. It's my excuse when a gnarly case of writers block ensues. So, in case you're interested, here's the rundown for summer....

Music:

Paul Simon, Graceland- It's such an iconic album. This was a very well produced record. I am in love with the lyrics to "The Boy In The Bubble". Simon was really good at sad words married to joyful noise.

The Beach Boys, That's Why God Made The Radio- A nearly flawless endless summer album. I love that Brian Wilson and Mike Love got their shit together and did something worth its weight in gold.

Slayer, Seasons In The Abyss-Probably my favorite metal album by anyone. It's just really dark and well structured. To this day, it holds up.

The Louvin Brothers, Satan Is Real-This is one of those epic country gospel outings from the late 50's. The harmonies are ridiculous and the production is warm and lived in.

Kid Rock, Born Free-The whole album is a breezy, beer tinged ode to Tom Petty and Bob Seger. It's a great desert drive soundtrack.

Dave Matthews, Stand Up- I just dig this one...not a lot to say.

John Mayer, Born And Raised-Sounds like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell had a love child. This era of Mayer may be his best yet.

Movies:

Thin Red Line- I like Malick. It's a tone poem, the usual 400 shots of nature.

Batman Begins: Nolans first outing with the Bat. Love it as much as I did the first time I saw it.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape: Underrated film for sure. I tell people that everyone should see this movie before they die.

Jonestown: A Documentary-Fascinating, heart breaking and loooong.

Books:

Ernest Hemingway, True At First Light- He's the best of his era, uncomplicated on the surface and yet deep when you let it sink in.

Willie Nelson, Life And Other Dirty Jokes- Nelsons a great storyteller. His jokes are actually really dirty and memorable. I've stolen a few.

Jonathen Franzen, The Corrections- I'm not done yet but its pretty entertaining thus far.

Flannery O'Conner, The River - No one dealt with racisms ugliness better than O'Conner. Her short stories illuminate just how satanic the old South could be. 

No comments: