Monday, December 26, 2011

The Punisher: A Movie Worth Watching

I have always considered The Punisher my favorite Marvel comic book character. I won't be naive and use the term "superhero". That would demean the characters integrity and purpose. He has long been the most polarized of graphic depictions, a bad good guy or perhaps a good bad guy. It's not easy to say which. Frank Castle is easily the most layered and psychological of the created vigilantes. He's not someone you can call wholesome or really even inspirational.

He's a killer, a merciless, badass hombre with little to no shame in what he does. There's no getting around his breaking every rule that is traditionally applied to comic book heroes. That's what I love, what got me fascinated. The reality is that he's grounded in reality. He's Batman without a mask or full conscience. He's dangerous, mentally on edge and culturally despised. That's what I related to, a hero who fed into the outcast ideal, in a way understanding and sympathizing with criminal elements himself. Short of becoming a villain, he walks the line as close as he can. That makes him plausible, human even. That he's existed on such a tight wire makes him more serious, more adult. I don't think he's ever been fit for the consumption of children. He's a grown up alternative to the kids idea of a hero, more close to what a "superhero" might actually look like. His reaction to his situation is understandable and realistic. That it birthed such vigilance is not a long shot.

I say all that to comment on the 2004 film, The Punisher, starring Thomas Jane. It came and went without much fanfare. Then it found a new life on DVD, eventually making all kinds of revenue as a favorite of the devout. I am and have long been among these. I saw it sometime after it was released and felt it really hit the nail on the head. Done on a embarrassingly low budget, the film nevertheless mined its bare bones, to the point script for all it was. That simplicity somehow made it richer, darker and more powerful. There are no one liners, no cheap fourth wall cracking glances, just two hours of simplistic vigilante justice. It wasn't trying to be more than that. The extended version is even better, darker and more esoteric in spots. It adds a little more bite to the character.

Anyway, the reason I bring all this up is to make the entirely valid point that a Thomas Jane fronted sequel needs to be made...and soon. The shit sandwich that was Punisher: Warzone left a bad, b-movie gore taste in my mouth. The ass clown playing the title role just made me wanna slit my wrists. It was a bad day at the races to say the least.

There needs to be a well budgeted sequel to Thomas Jane's portrayal, a deeper, richer story that will take the character to new plateaus. I want that movie. As an ardent fan and supporter, I demand it. You set up a good story...now give it some life. Give this talented actor some room to take it a scary, bloody place. I want controversy and mothers protesting, a Focus On The Family hearing. I want a book end, either in one sequel or in two. Fans will eat the food if you show them the menu. Trust me. Stop being a prick studio and follow up.

We're waiting.

No comments: